HISTORY


Grace BIble Church of Pompton Plains began as an idea by a group of like-minded people.  In the 1930s, the Lowe family of Little Falls, NJ began running a children's Sunday School out of their home.  After moving to Third Street in Pequannock, the Sunday School experienced such growth that a group of the men and fathers got together and formally incorporated the Grace Church of Pequannock in 1949.  

For the children's Sunday School gatherings, the newly-formed Grace Church rented the Union Hall on Newark Pompton Turnpike in Pequannock, right next to the railroad tracks.  Adult Sunday School was held in the two bays of the Pequannock firehouse.  The church itself was located at the corner of First Street and Franklin Avenue, and the building still exists today.  As the church continued to grow, its congregational members built a two-story addition with an attic onto the church so they would have more room for meetings.  The church maintained a parsonage on 4th Street for a while before purchasing a new parsonage on Duncan Avenue.

However, even the new addition to the building and the new parsonage would not be big enough for the church, and eight acres of farmland on Sunset Road in Pompton Plains were purchased in the early 1970s.  The new church was completed and dedicated in 1976, and is the current home of Grace Bible Church of Pompton Plains.